Friday, 24 August 2012

How not to bake bread

So here's another post that's not about cupcakes, or makeup! I do bake cup cakes, honest! It's just I've become slightly carried away with The Great British Bake Off (UK TV series) and have set a challenge to bake something from the show each week. Last week was upside own cake....which didn't last long enough to photograph but was almost successful.

This week was bread! I love the idea of bread. But i'll freely admit I really am not a fan of kneading. It's time consuming, messy, takes up the entirety of my work surface and I never seem to get anywhere with it. So, with the arrival of the new Kenwood Masterchef with dough hook (more on my love/hate relationship with Ken another time) and spurred on by TGBBO I thought to myself on Wednesday night when I got home from work, I know, I'll make some bread!!

I had this bright idea at approximately 7pm....at approximately 12am I was just about ready to collapse into bed having just finished baking!

This was of course not before giving sleeping Husband the fright of his life by setting off all the smoke alarms in the house at 11pm...turns out a 230 degree celsius oven tends to smoke a
bit :)

It was nothing short of traumatic and ended with me sitting on the kitchen floor, staring into the oven at nearly midnight like I was having some sort of psychotic episode and had mistaken the oven for the television.

Anyway, cut a long story short, I made some bread. And it worked!! And here's a picture to prove it. The moral of this tale is, don't start baking bread at 7pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment